Some items will show remnants of classroom use, but that should not detract from any use you may wish to make of them.
Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.
Just write every day of your life. Read intensely. Then see what happens.
Guide sheets, Ideas, and Advice
- Concept Creation (Assignment) (Example)
- Sample Literary Essay on The Black Cat
- Why begin language and writing with poetry
- A Little Seminar on Style
- How to Write an F Paper
- How to Rite Good (sic)
- Building Blocks for Essays
- Having a Writing Conference With Yourself
- Looking For That “Je Ne Sais Quoi
- Language Lessons from James
- Simple Essay
- Keeping a Slovenly Diary
- He Who Lies Down With Dogs – Journal Response Writing
- Annie Dillard and Anne Lamott on Writing
- Janet Evanovitch on Writing
- Suzanne Britt on Writing
- College Students Must Write
- Did Shakespeare Ever Think Twice
- Harrellland Short Fun Writing
- Four writing ideas to try
- You as a Writer
- Yoga and Writing (Handout 1) (Handout 2)
- Celebrating Shel**
The difference between the almost right word and the right word is … the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.
Specific, concrete, sensory details
- Writing Details
- Amazing Facts About Your Senses PDF
- Senses and Figurative Language
- Palate color senses
- Smell and taste
- Sniffing out a smell, Boyd Gibbons
- Synesthesia ppt with Medical Synesthesia insert**
- Synesthesia slide show with cool YouTube insert**
- Synesthesia practice PDF
- “Barter” slide show to illustrate senses**
- Our Town Act 3 to show power of senses
- “Metro Station” slide show to illustrate imagery**
- Analogies and Metaphors worksheets
- Show Not Tell slide show**
- 20 More Show Not Tell sentences
- Show Not Tell samples from the pros
- Metaphor article “Beyond Compare”
**For powerpoint documents, click to download/save to your computer. Then open with a powerpoint viewer.